How to open an NPS account ?
We have already discussed the features and benefits of an NPS (National Pension System) account in an earlier article. I have also explained that an account can be opened online as well as offline.
Let us understand NPS Registration process via online and offline.
Have the following ready before start the Online process
- Aadhaar Card or PAN Card
Aadhaar Card Should have correct permanent Address along with latest Mobile number.
PAN Card should link with your bank account.
- You need to upload scanned copy of Passport size photograph (file size between 4KB – 2MB).
- You need to upload scanned copy of PAN card and Cancelled Cheque
( .jpeg/.jpg/*.png format only with file size between 4KB – 2MB).
- Your KYC verification will be done by the Bank or Non-Bank POP selected by you during the online registration process.
Name and address provided during registration should same as POP* records for KYC verification.
If your details don’t match, the request is liable for rejection. In case of rejection of KYC by the POP*, the applicant is requested to contact the POP*.
*Points of Presence (POPs) shall provide the services under NPS through their network of branches called POP Service Providers (POP-SP).
Click here to know about POPs address.
NPS Registration Online
- Log on to the NPS website
- Click on “NATIONAL PENSION SYSTEM” then click on “Registration“.
- Kindly choose the below option
Applicant Type – Individual Subscriber.
Status of Applicant – Citizens of India.
Register With – PAN or Aadhar Card number.
Account Type – Tier I only
- Upload Aadhaar Offline e-KYC XML File
Click Here to download from UIDAI website.
Aadhaar Card Offline e-KYC is a secure and shareable document which can be used by any Aadhaar holder for offline verification of identification.
e-KYC XML File – Enter the Aadhaar/VID, create a Share Code of 4-characters. A ZIP file containing the Resident’s Offline eKYC will be password protected using the same Share Code.
- Share Code for your Paperless Offline eKYC then click on continue as shows below screen shot.
- Next, You can select from any of the several Pension Funds provided in the National Pension Scheme list.
- You have to then select the mode of Investment. In the case of an auto mode option, the equity allocation changes with based on age. With active mode option, you decide the mix.
- Assign your Nominee details.
- Next, Make a contribution to the account then TPRN(Temporary Pension Reference Number) will be generated, which please note down.
The minimum amount is Rs 500 for Tier 1 account.
Pursuant to payment being approved, a Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN) would be allotted.
- Subscriber have an option to eSign or Print and Courier the registration form to CRA.
- In case subscriber is unable to eSign, take a printout of the form, paste your Photograph (please do not sign across the photograph) & affix signature.
- Print the Account Opening Form(AOF) on A4 size white papers. Attach the required documents, such as photographs and proof of identity and address, as mentioned in the AOF.
- The form should be sent within 30 days from the date of allotment of PRAN to CRA at the following address or else the PRAN will be ‘frozen’ temporarily.
Central Recordkeeping Agency (eNPS)
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
1st Floor, Times Tower,
Kamala Mills Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg,
Lower Parel, Mumbai – 400 013
Source – NPS
Complete Pending NPS Registration
The below screenshot is to complete the pending NPS registration. You will have to fill your Acknowledgement No, Acknowledgement Date, First Name, Date of Birth and Email.
eSign/ Print Registration Form
For NRI subscribers only
- Select the Bank Account Status i.e., Non-Repatriable/Repatriable account.
- Provide the NRE/NRO bank account details & then upload scanned copy of passport.
- Select the preferred address for communication (Overseas Address or Permanent Address).
NPS Registration Offline
Through Point of Presence (PoP)
The NPS applicant is required to submit duly filled in Subscriber Registration Form along with supporting KYC documents (Aadhar card, Pan card etc.) to the branch of POP called as Point of Presence service providers (POP-SP).